Friday, November 25, 2011

BOXING news 12BET update 11/25

HAND INJURY RULES OUT GEORGE GROVES

George Groves has been forced to withdraw from his bout at the Liverpool Echo Arena on December 9 because of a hand injury.


The 23-year-old, who has enjoyed a stellar year with wins over great rival James DeGale and Paul Smith, suffered the injury in a training session this week in London and he has now been ruled out of his next contest - for which an opponent had yet to be named.


DeGale's WBO Intercontinental title against Jose Maria Guerrero will now headline the bill and a further fight could be added to the card.
He said: "I'm really gutted as I was coming along nicely in training and on course for the fight in a couple of weeks' time.
"The injury is a setback and I really wanted to end the year with four good wins.
"I'm sorry that my fans won't be able to see me in action, but I'll back early next year and ready to kick of 2012 with bang as I continue towards further titles."

Groves' manager and trainer Adam Booth was also disappointed at the news.
He added: "Obviously we are all disappointed as George was looking forward to getting back into the ring again so quickly after his great win over Paul Smith.
"At this stage of George's career it would be crazy to compromise him and carry an injury of that nature into the fight.
"He's been advised to rest it for now and we'll seek further medical guidance next week."- http://www.sportinglife.com/




By snookerman with No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment