Monday, March 26, 2012

Garcia claims Morales' crown

Mexican loses world title fight on points in Houston



American Danny Garcia captured the WBC light-welterweight crown with a unanimous points victory over Erik Morales at the Reliant Arena in Houston.

The 24-year-old kept his unbeaten record as he won the fight on all three judges' scorecards, 116-112, 117-110 and 118-109.Mexican Morales, 35, had been stripped of the title when he exceeded the weight of 140 pounds at Friday's weigh-in.Garcia was the more aggressive fighter throughout the bout and decked Morales in the 11th round with a stinging left hook to the chin.

"It's been a long ride. We did it baby," said Garcia, who now has a 23-0 record."Everybody wants to be champion. I knew it was going to be a bloody war. I just couldn't let him take my dream away." Morales said: "It was a difficult fight. His type of style gave me complications."I have got to think about my future. To fight at this level I really have to think about it because it is my health." - http://www1.skysports.com

By snookerman with No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment